The course is designed to refresh the skills and knowledge of delegates who have successfully completed a full Carl Stahl Evita Wire Rope Inspection course within the last 3-5 years.
Equivalent inspection courses conducted by other training organisations may be considered acceptable as a pre qualification for this course. (Please refer details and dates to Carl Stahl Evita normally we would require proof of certification in this situation)
The aim of the course is to provide selected delegates with:
- The skills and knowledge needed to apply the statutory requirements for examination and/or removal of wire rope in service.
- A thorough grounding of wire rope construction, effects on rope performance and applications, and factors causing rope deterioration.
- A thorough knowledge of safe use and handling of wire rope in accordance with their operations and the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
By the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Apply the statutory requirements for examination of wire rope in service.
- Demonstrate knowledge of wire rope terminology, constructions, characteristics and effect on rope performance, safe use & handling, and applications, through a short written test.
- Get the best out of their products whilst maintaining a safe working environment.
- Carry out wire rope examinations.
The Responsibilities and Primary Functions of a Rope Examiner:
- Rope terminology – up to date information on the different types of rope available, how they are designated and how they are classified (includes the proposed new European Standards)
- A practical assessment of steel wire rope characteristics including an appreciation of rope strength, flexibility, fatigue, wear, abrasion, rotation and elongation.
- Rope terminations – types and discard criteria
- Rope Deterioration
- Examination Procedure
- Discard Criteria
- Cumulative (combined) effects of discard
- Examination records and reports
- Practical Examination of used Wire Rope samples
The one day course includes a practical assessment leading to certification on successful completion.