Those with a working knowledge of wire ropes and involved in the inspection, statutory examination, and/or safe use of wire rope in service. It is also suitable for those who are involved with, or give advice to, users of wire rope and associated equipment/products.
The aims of the course are to provide selected delegates with:
- The skills and knowledge needed to apply the statutory requirements for examination and/or removal of wire rope in service.
- A thorough grounding of wire rope construction, effects on rope performance and applications, and factors causing rope deterioration.
- A thorough knowledge of safe use and handling of wire rope in accordance with their operations and the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
By the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Apply the statutory requirements for examination of wire rope in service.
- Demonstrate knowledge of wire rope terminology, constructions, characteristics and effect on rope performance, safe use & handling, and applications, through a short written test.
- Get the best out of their products whilst maintaining a safe working environment.
- Carry out wire rope examinations.
- The Responsibilities and Primary Functions of a Rope Examiner
- Wire Rope Manufacturing – an introduction to manufacturing processes and testing
- Rope terminology – up to date information on the different types of rope available, how they are designated and how they are classified (includes the proposed new European Standards)
- A practical assessment of steel wire rope characteristics including an appreciation of rope strength, flexibility, fatigue, wear, abrasion, rotation and elongation.
- Rope terminations Good, bad and indifferent.
- Rope Deterioration
- Examination Procedure
- Discard Criteria
- Cumulative (combined) effects of discard
- Examination records and reports
- Examples of used (failed) wire ropes (a black museum)
- A written examination
- Practical Examination of used Wire Rope samples
Qualifications/Experience of Trainers
The course was designed and is presented by leading wire rope consultants with expert knowledge and experience of wire rope systems world-wide.
This two and a half day course includes a short written confirmation test and, on the final day, a practical assessment leading to certification on successful completion.
Days: 2 1/2