This course is aimed at employees who have been identified and/or selected to carry out ‘in-house’ instruction on lifting operations.
The aim of the course is to train experienced lifting operatives to instruct other personnel in the safe use of lifting equipment.
By the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Recognise the need for the requirements of safe systems of work in relation to lifting operations.
- Instruct operatives on their obligations with respect to statutory requirements relating to lifting operations, Health & Safety at Work Act, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER), and Lift Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
- Instruct operatives on the safe use of lifting equipment in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Lifting Equipment as published by the Lifting Equipment Engineers Association (LEEA).
- Develop effective training programmes and schedules in lifting operations applicable to their own working environment.
- Measure levels of instruction, by continuous performance review and assessments.
- Legislation, an update on all legislation including, Health & Safety at Work Act, PUWER and LOLER.
- Introduction to the LEEA Code of Practice for the safe Use of Lifting Equipment.
- The principle components of the systems approach to training. Analyse training projects, write training objectives, determine training content, select methods of delivery and validation.
- Method of Instructional Techniques (MOIT). Includes valuable principles and techniques of good instruction.
- Delegate teaching practices, designed to practice and assess delegate’s knowledge and ability to instruct.
- Final assessment.
5 Days intensive, some evening work may be necessary.
Delegate’s progress is monitored by ongoing assessment of up to 3 individual teaching practices, the final of which is used to measure overall performance. A report on each candidate is prepared and certificates are awarded to those that are successful on completion.
A copy of the LEEA Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Lifting Equipment valued at £135.00 is issued to each candidate at the start of all open courses.
Days: Novice 5 days, Refresher 3 days